FAQs and useful information

Are you a carer?

If you require support, please do not hesitate to contact the surgery. Further support can also be found at the following link : https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/care-and-support-for-adults/caring-for-someone/health-and-wellbeing-support-for-carers/


Are you grieving? Have you been recently bereaved?

We know this can be difficult, you are not alone and there are many support services available. Please speak to us or review the support available at the following link: https://www.healthysuffolk.org.uk/advice-services/adults/coping-with-bereavement


How do I get to my hospital appointment if I cannot travel on public transport?

Hospital transport can be booked, subject to certain criteria being met, by phoning 0845 8500 774. 

The service provides a vital link between communities to the west of Bury St Edmunds and the hospital. For more information or to pre-book the service, you can visit the website online at www.thevoluntarynetwork.org/community-transport/ or by phoning 01638 664304.


How do I request copies of my medical records?

Please speak to a member of staff at the surgery if you require access to your medical records. Requests will be dealt with within 40 days. 


How do I request online access to my records?

Please ask a member of staff if you require online access to your medical records.


I have back pain. Do I need to see a GP to get a referral to the physio?

No. Patients can self-refer to Allied Health Professionals for all musculoskeletal problems by completing the online form via www.ahpsuffolk.co.uk.


I am feeling low in mood. What services are available to me?

If you are feeling stressed, anxious, low or depressed you can self-refer to Wellbeing Suffolk by completing an online self-referral form at www.wellbeingnands.co.uk or phoning 0300 123 1781. Children 15 and under will need to see a GP to access services. If you have more severe mental health issues however please see a GP at the surgery for referral to the Suffolk Access and Assessment Team.


I would like a letter from the doctor to provide supporting medical information.  Is this possible?

The provision of a To Whom It May Concern letter is a non-NHS service and is therefore subject to a fee. Please speak to one of our Care Navigators who will be able to you with this request. 


Can I have my passport application form signed by a GP?

No. The practice will no longer sign passport application forms.


I have cancelled my holiday due to ill health and need a claim form completed by a GP. Is there a charge for this?

Yes.  Completion of insurance claim forms is a non-NHS service and therefore a fee will need to be paid. 


I am pregnant. Do I need to see a doctor to get referred to the midwife?

No.  Patients can self-refer to the midwives by calling 01440 766 027. The West Suffolk Hospital community midwives are responsible for arranging antenatal care for pregnant women.


Where can I get advice on healthy living?

Patients in Suffolk can contact One Life Suffolk, an integrated healthy lifestyle service, providing advice on smoking cessation, weight loss for both adults and children, how to become more active and NHS health checks.  Please contact them online at www.onelifesuffolk.co.uk or phone 01473 718 193. 


I am a carer for my husband but I need to go into hospital for an operation. How do I organise respite care for him while I am away?

Please speak to a GP to request Respite on Prescription.  The doctor will give you a form that you can send to Suffolk Family Carers who will organise respite care while you are in hospital.


I am widow and feel lonely. Is there any support services available?

The Befriending Service gives people access to more varied services in the community and can provide an emotional outlet to share thoughts and feelings.  Weekly visits are arranged with a befriender.  Please visit www.voluntarynetwork.org for further information.


I need an HGV medical examination. Can this be carried out at the surgery?

Yes.  We are able to perform certain medical examinations at the surgery such as HGV, PSV and taxi medicals.  However, employment medicals will need to be carried out by an occupational health company or private hospital.  Please note there is a fee for carrying out medicals as this is a non-NHS service. 


I need help completing a benefits application. Who would I need to speak to?

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides free impartial advice on debt, benefits, housing, employment, relationships, work, education, tax law and rights.  The Haverhill branch is based in Lower Downs Slade, CB9 9HB.  Their contact number for general advice is 0300 330 1151 and it is open Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 3:30pm.  Online advice can be found at www.citizensadvice.org.uk


Where can I find a list of Care Providers & Care Homes in Suffolk?

Suffolk Care Services Directory – information on all aspects of care and support in Suffolk.

This independent service directory contains comprehensive information on social care in Suffolk, including an introduction to what care services are on offer near you as well as useful information on paying for care, staying independent, and lists of care providers in Suffolk. https://www.carechoices.co.uk/region/east-of-england/suffolk/